The LASIK Experience: one month later

It's now been over a month since I've had my operation. The eyedrop regimen is over, although I still occasionally put in a few on occasion to soothe my eyes when they get dry.

Not being allowed to rub my eyes is as maddening as ever, and I do it anyways (lightly) from time to time.

On my last visit, it was confirmed that I now have 20/20 vision. My right eye still has a bit of scarring that should heal over the next few months, resulting in cleaner vision.

I took a medicine ball to the face today, so I need to go in tomorrow to make sure it didn't cause any damage to my eyes.

Overall, I feel pretty good about the whole thing. I still attempt to adjust my nonexistent glasses from time to time. Looking back at old pictures of myself feels strange; my face looks much more natural without glasses.

Would I recommend the operation? Probably, with a few caveats:

-Don't do it if you can't afford it. It's not worth going in debt for.
-If you can already function most of the time without glasses, it's probably not worth it.
-Know that it's going to take a solid week to recover from. Lots of dry eyes, painful eyes, blurry vision, mandatory sunglasses, frequent usage of eyedrops, no washing your face in the shower, etc. Your quality of life will be noticeably affected while you recover.
-Ask for drugs before your operation. Ask them for a generous dose of Valium. The Xanax did nothing for me.

All that being said, I don't regret my decision. It turned out pretty good. I like my new eyesight.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Skydiving for the first time: a stream of consciousness

The reality of living with scoliosis.

The Beginner's Guide